July 19, 2006

Deckard and Pink Floyd over Coffee

Imagined conversations with Dad

Today is my dad's 13th death anniversary, and as I remember it, it got me into thinking what our conversation would be like if I have an hour to talk to him today. We would probably talk about the following things:

- my dad would be delighted to know that a decade ago the band Eagle went back together and produced an album called Hell Freezes Over, and that the album title alluded to the band's promise that they will only reunite when ice age comes down to the lair of those guys with the pitch forks

- he probably will be surprised if I tell him that Deckard, Harrison Ford's character in Blade Runner, is also a replicant. Blade Runner was one of my dad's favorite sci-fi films. And we will talk about movies some more, especially those I would think he'd like, such as Gladiator, Braveheart, and Lord of the Rings.

- I would tell him that I have learned to appreciate the music of Pink Floyd, especialy the tracks Money and Comfortably Numb.

- I would show him my iPod and I think he would appreciate some of the tracks there such as those of Trapt, the new album of U2, and maybe some songs of Annie Lennox. Ironically, Lennox's Love Song for a Vampire was the last song that he heard before he went away (he was watching Dracula the night before he died, and he probably heard the song during the credits).

- Lastly I would tell him that I turned out just fine, and that I now realized the value of his rules when I was growing up. His somewhat strict rules were the ones I used to resent about him, but I sure am glad that he taught me table manners when I was a kid.


The picture above is a screenshot from Blade Runner. The unicorn holds a special significance to Deckard, the main character of the movie.

No comments: